July 17, 2009

Golden Ocean


Occasion: Dim sum (the third time in a week!) with my mom, Amy and Sam
Location: Golden Ocean Seafood Restaurant on W 41st Ave at Maple St in Vancouver
Edibles: leaf tripe (omasum); stewed honeycomb tripe (reticulum) and beef lung; chicken feet; bbq pork buns; braised Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce; pork, fish and peanut congee; sesame balls

Musings: As you can see, we got some more unusual things this time around. I'm not a huge fan of lung or chicken feet, but I thought the leaf tripe was really well done. Strangely enough, with all the offal we ordered, the dish that stuck out the most was the sesame balls.

Sesame balls are usually the size of golf balls, or slightly larger, and filled with red bean paste or lotus paste. They serve a peculiar variation at Golden Ocean with no filling at all but fried for a longer time, until they're puffed up to the size of ostrich eggs. (I'm not kidding about the size.) The resulting hollow pastry has a thinner wall and is crispier than the standard. I've been to quite a few dim sums in my time but this is the first time I'd seen this. Dim sum innovation - go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment