July 17, 2009

Flamingo

Occasion: Family dinner with my grandparents, my aunt, my cousins, my mom and my brother
Location: Flamingo Chinese Restaurant on Cambie between W 59th and W 60th Ave in Vancouver
Edibles: West Lake soup; taro duck; Chinese broccoli and beef; lobster in cream sauce with noodles; steamed tilapia; crispy chicken; tapioca pudding

Musings: We've been going to this restaurant for over twenty years. The menu has barely changed in all that time. So it's not the most sophisticated Chinese food Vancouver has to offer, but it's our neighborhood restaurant and it always feels good to come back. Upon our arrival, the manager (who we had seen rise from the waitstaff to his current position) came right over to greet my mom by name and take our order.

Everything tasted just as it should, just as it used to. (Well, with the exception of one meat pie dish, which the manager immediately whisked away and took off our bill.)

Restaurants will come and go but as long as the Flamingo is open for business, we will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment