September 18, 2009

The Mott

Occasion: Dinner with PA, Abby, Elizabeth and Marie
Location: The Mott on Mott (natch) at Broome
Edibles: Moroccan lamb app; Abby and I shared the duck and scallop mains; other people had other things including the pork belly app and the gnocchi - I didn't taste any of the other dishes for reasons discussed further below; chocolate cake for the table for dessert

Musings: The consensus was that the food was great - there just wasn't enough of it. The coriander-crusted lamb was incredible: perfectly medium rare, spicy but not heavy-handed. For $14, though, I would have liked more than three modest slices of lamb over some cucumber salad. The $24 scallop main came with three scallops. The $23 duck main came with five slices of duck. I think our table went through three full baskets of bread and I still wasn't full at the end of the meal.

Price-wise, it's not too bad at the moment since they don't have their liquor license yet and are BYOB. Once they get it, The Mott will likely tip over into my $$$$ category and it just doesn't stack up at that price. Good potential, but I'd only go back if they re-think their financial model. (Oh, and take down the atrocious artwork on their walls.)

No comments:

Post a Comment