September 23, 2009

Mamoun's Falafel


Occasion: Pre-theatre (Othello) snack
Location: Mamoun's on MacDougal at W 3rd (mamounsfalafel.com) [Note: there's a second location on St Marks]
Edibles: the lamb sandwich with some falafel thrown in (sometimes called a "shawafel")

Musings: A dude I knew once cited Mamoun's as his favorite restaurant in the city. I wouldn't go quite that far, but I love it too. Their famous falafel is a recession-friendly $2.50. My shawafel cost $5.50, but the meat-tooth must be satisfied.


I took my snack over to Washington Square Park and spent fifteen glorious minutes completely engrossed in the juicy slivers of lamb, crunchy falafel and velvety tahini sauce. (It was a close-fought battle, but I successfully defended my gray tweed dress from incursionary dribbles of said sauce.) Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment