August 9, 2009

Public

Occasion: Pre-shopping brunch with Abby
Location: Public on Elizabeth between Prince and Spring (public-nyc.com)
Edibles: the fry-up for both of us - eggs (scrambled for me, poached for Abby) on sourdough toast, tomatoes, mushrooms, and bacon for me

Musings: Lovely space. A lot of thought and effort (and money) obviously went into the décor, so I thought I'd spend a little time on it. The theme of the place is "public spaces," including the library....

....the post office....

....valet parking, etc. Pretty cool.

As I was starving at the time, I was a little miffed that they charge for bread. $3.50 for a muffin or scone! On principle, I didn't get anything.

The brunch menu was very eclectic, with such dishes as Turkish eggs (served poached, on Greek yogurt), boudin noir sandwich and venison burger. We both ended up getting one of the more mundane items, the fry-up. I thought it provided decent value at $11 ($13 for mine with the bacon). I'm not usually one to advocate non-functional garnishes, but I thought the plate needed a little chopped parsley or something to bring the separate elements together. (For a place that puts such a high premium on décor, you'd think they'd have fancier platings.)

I'd like to try dinner here sometime.

[Note: Dress shopping for Abby for Karen's wedding was successful! I also talked her into a pair of kicky beige patent ankle boots.]

No comments:

Post a Comment