August 8, 2009

Dos Caminos


Occasion: Snack with Ben and Rebecca, after running into them in Madison Square Park
Location: Dos Caminos on Park between 26th and 27th (brguestrestaurants.com/restaurants/dos_caminos_park/index.php)
Edibles: tableside guacamole to share; I had the salmon ceviche with mango salsa; Ben had the Mexican chopped salad with shrimp; Rebecca had the al carbon chicken tacos

Musings: The guacamole app at Mexican restaurants is nothing short of highway robbery. $12 for a dish, the ingredients of which cost $1? And yet I am helpless to resist. Part of the reason is because, for the life of me, I can't seem to make a good guac at home. It's not hard - it only has seven ingredients: avocado, lime, salt, cilantro, tomato, onion, jalapeƱo pepper. And most shamefully, it's been made right in front of my eyes over a dozen times. Ehh - what can you do?

The salmon ceviche was also tasty. I loved the mango salsa.

As a restaurant, Dos Caminos has its strengths. The food is good, it's consistently so, and the atmosphere is hip. The main minuses are that it's expensive and it's not particularly authentic. I like them for drinks and guac (gritting my teeth a bit over the price) after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment