April 2, 2010

Northern Spy Food Co.


Occasion: Dinner with Winnie (in from LA) and Gabrielle
Location: Northern Spy on 12th between A and B (northernspyfoodco.com)
Edibles: I had the polenta with greens, mushrooms, crème fraîche and a poached egg on top; Gabrielle had the sweet potato risotto; Winnie had the pork terrine followed by the pork loin main; we all shared the meatball special, and also split a slice of carrot cake for dessert


Musings: Great little neighborhood spot. I loved the décor, from the robin's-egg-blue bench to the wallpaper panels to the charmingly distressed wood everywhere (probably fake, but still).

I saw someone tucking into a plate of meatballs when we walked in and immediately fixated on them. I'm pleased to report that they were flavorful and satisfyingly hearty - less pleased that they're not a regular menu item. My polenta dish was a good gap-filler. (No, that's not quite fair. It's a good dish in its own right but could only play second fiddle tonight, what with me in a meatball haze.)

The cake was a little heavy and piled with too much frosting for my taste. For drinks, I can recommend their house cider and Winnie raved about the homemade blood orange seltzer.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I would totally vouch for the blood orange seltzer, though they had some other tasty drinks too. But from all the food, Rachel's choice of meatballs was really the best.

    ReplyDelete