April 21, 2020

My Pantry Staples

Following in Smitten Kitchen's footsteps, I thought it'd be fun to do an inventory of my pantry staples. As a general rule of thumb, I think any recipe you make more than three times a year deserves a stocked ingredient. Items in square brackets are those that I often have on hand, but don't necessarily replenish right away.

RICE AND GRAINS
Thai jasmine long grain rice
Japanese short grain rice
Wild rice mix
[Brown rice]
Rolled oats (for baking, not for oatmeal)
Steel-cut oats (for oatmeal)
[Quinoa]
[Couscous]
[Millet, for congee]

PASTA AND NOODLES
Italian pasta: angelhair, spaghetti/linguine, macaroni
Rice vermicelli
Wide bean noodles (for hot pot)
Japanese somen
[Egg noodles, for tuna casserole]

FLOURS
AP flour
Bread flour (for no-knead bread)
Wheat flour (a small amount kept in the freezer; sometimes I switch to rye)
Cornmeal
[Almond meal, for chocolate fruitcake]

BEANS AND LENTILS
Canned chickpeas / garbanzo beans
Canned red beans (for chili)
Canned Tuscan white / cannellini beans (for soup)
[Lentils, green or French de puy]

MISC CANNED
Canned tuna
[Canned salmon]
Canned pumpkin puree (for pumpkin bread and thickening chili)
Canned whole plum tomatoes
Canned creamed corn
[Tomato paste]
[Canned peaches]
[Canned mandarin oranges]

BAKING
Granulated sugar
[Brown sugar]
[Muscovado sugar]
Baking powder
Baking soda
Instant yeast, sleeves of three packets (mostly for no-knead bread)
Cocoa
Powdered milk (because I don't often have fresh milk in my fridge)
Kahlua (my favorite substitute for vanilla)

OIL AND VINEGAR
Canola
Olive (regular, for cooking)
Extra-virgin olive (a fancy store here has a Persian lime flavor I love, just for salad dressings)
Butter (I only keep salted, and use it even for baking - I just omit the added salt and it's usually fine)
White vinegar in massive jugs (pickling; does double duty as dandelion killer)
Cider vinegar
[Red or white wine vinegar]
[Balsamic]

SALT, HERBS AND SPICES
Regular iodized table salt (for salting cooking water)
Fine sea salt (regular cooking; have sometimes kept fine kosher salt instead)
Seasoning salt (for steak and grilled chicken)
Whole peppercorns
Whole nutmeg
Dried thyme
Chopped fresh cilantro (in freezer)
[Loads of others but these are my go-tos. My garden has fresh mint, rosemary and bay.]

CHINESE
Soy sauce
Chinese black vinegar
Chinese Shaoxing cooking wine
Sesame oil
Cornstarch
Cow Head brand Chinese barbeque sauce
[Oyster sauce]
[Packaged fried shallots]

MISC
Better Than Bouillon, multiple flavors
[Trader Joe's sundried tomatoes in oil]
[Capers]
[Pickles and cornichons]
Dijon mustard
[Mayonaise]
Peanut butter
[Nutella]
[Marcona almonds]
Jam (a berry one)
Honey
[Molasses]
[Maple syrup]
[Ovaltine]
[Hot chocolate mix]
Tea: loose-leaf green, English breakfast, chamomile, fruity, plus misc. assortment of tea bags
Dried currants (for scones; also good in couscous)
[Alpen muesli]
Walker's shortbread
Kettle-cooked potato chips, plain / original / sea salt flavor
Instant ramen
Kraft instant mac and cheese

FREEZER
Boneless skinless chicken thighs, wrapped in packets of two
Breakfast sausage, wrapped in single portions
Thick-sliced bacon
Gyoza
Udon
Spinach
[Peas]
[Trader Joe's white corn]
Bread (sliced)
[Bagels from New York]

EGGS
I *always* have eggs. I go back and forth between white and brown, large and extra large.


* * * * *
Some weird things about my kitchen:
  • I almost never have fresh milk. I am not much of a milk drinker, and though I put milk in my coffee, I drink almost all my coffee at work.
  • I only have crappy instant coffee. See above. At home, I drink tea.
  • I don't really cook with garlic, so I rarely have it.
  • I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy food, so all the red pepper flakes and hot sauces in my kitchen were purchased by my mom while she was visiting. She is a fiend for spicy food.
  • I have lots of exotic spices and spice mixes. It's one of my favorite souvenirs to buy when traveling - for myself and as gifts.
  • I have a very limited baking repertoire. I don't find it relaxing, and I don't do it enough to be very good at it. I also don't like icing or frosting, and never make it. I know, I'm a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment