March 28, 2020

Homemade Irish Cream

I've resurrected Ye Olde Blogge to collect some recipes, so I have them all in one place. I've been cooking a lot since social distancing went into effect, like a lot of folks. Instead of the quick dinners, I've been going back and dusting off those time-consuming, special occasion recipes. Cooking is both therapeutic and indulgent for me, and I guess there's no time like now for a little extra of both.

 Here's one from the holidays, adapted from Smitten Kitchen. No cook, so much tastier than the commercial version.

Ingredients
1 cup heavy cream
1 small can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whiskey
1 tsp cocoa powder
a dash of vanilla
a dash of Kahlua

Directions
Put a spoonful of cream into the cocoa and make a paste (if you dump all the cocoa straight into the cream, it will clump up). Slowly add more cream until it's thick enough to whisk, then whisk in the rest of the cream. Then whisk in the condensed milk, whiskey and flavorings. (The vanilla and Kahlua add great complexity but can be omitted if you don't like them.)

Will last for over a month in the fridge.

Great as a holiday host/hostess gift. I like it in a post-dinner coffee, while my sister likes it on the rocks. Also makes a killer addition to French toast batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment