March 20, 2010

Sorella

Occasion: Dinner with Elizabeth
Location: Sorella on Allen between Delancey and Broome (sorellanyc.com)
Edibles: shared apps of argula salad with pears and roasted brussels sprouts with apples; I had the agnolotti stuffed with beef with sage butter sauce for my main; Elizabeth had the beet risotto

Musings: They were booked up in the main dining room so we ate at the bar. I loved the vibe at Sorella - dim and casually chic, not too loud. I also really liked their quirky music selection and was bopping along to it most of the night.

The food... The salad was lovely and surprisingly substantial. The brussels sprouts (really a side vegetable) were nicely roasted and flavorful, if somewhat bogged down by the heavy sauce on top, something like a Russian dressing. Elizabeth's risotto was tasty, once you got past the disconcerting bright magenta color. My main was the weakest dish of the night. The pasta was hard and gritty and the butter sauce was a poor choice to accompany - too oily and heavy.

Although it wasn't the most impressive meal, I did really like the atmosphere and there were glimmers of greatness in the food. If the opportunity arose I would definitely come again, try some different things on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment