January 5, 2011

Top Chef All-Stars, Eps. 1-5


Random thoughts / color commentary, for my faithful readers Karen and Josie. Hope y'all are keeping warm!

Ep. 1 - History Never Repeats - Original Air Date 12/1/10
  • Damn, I forgot how much Season 2 sucked. Boo, Marcel. Season 7 was a dog, too. Season 3 had some talent - Dale, Tre, Casey.... they could be a threat. Ditto Season 4. Yay, Blais!
  • OK, I take that back. Mustard ice-cream, Blais?
  • Great Elimination challenge. I remember those butterscotch scallops (ew, again). Good thing you had immunity, Dale. (Dudes, do you guys remember that salmon dish he and Blais made with white chocolate wasabi sauce and tapioca pearls? That the judges actually liked? I still don't get that.)
  • You know your food is bad when it's unfavorably compared to a colonoscopy. Yikes.

Ep. 2 - Night at the Museum - 12/8/10
  • I don't think there should have been a winner for this one. Seriously, gnocchi, gazpacho and a salmon steak for breakfast?
  • I think maybe Jen is still suffering from PTSD from her season or something. Why was she so spazzy and weird?

Ep. 3 - New York's Finest - 12/15/10
  • Mise en place relay! Along with the blind taste test, this is my favorite Quickfire. Good speed technique on the garlic from Fabio (the "Cutting Board Smash") and on the lamb from Marcel (the "French Hammer").
  • About time they booted Stephen. He really can't cook at all. Then again, the show has really come light years in terms of the cheftestants' qualifications.

Ep. 4 - Advantage Chef - 12/22/10
  • Some really creative substitution for kitchen utsensils in the Quickfire. I would not like to have to butcher poultry using a pepper mill.
  • "Undone-te" - HA! I like Carla. Speaking of undone-te, what was Jamie thinking, starting with dried legumes?! They take FOREVER to cook, and even home cooks know that.
  • I'm not sure what kind of strategy would have worked best in the head-to-head, but I do think the teams should have had to commit to an order before the start. Almost every single round, Yellow Team picked their person after the Orange Team had already locked in. That's seems like an unfair advantage. (Not that it ultimately hurt them.)

Ep. 5 - Dim Sum Lose Sum - 1/5/11
  • Pretty much an epic fail. There were a lot of basic misunderstandings about the raw materials, and everyone made their dishes WAY too complicated for the volume they needed to pump out.
  • Susur! What I character. I've missed him.
  • How does Jamie keep dodging the bullet? Has she done even one halfway decent dish yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment