February 26, 2010

Gemma


Occasion: Abby says sayonara to Big Firm life!
Location: Gemma on Bowery between 2nd and Bond (gemmanyc.com)
Edibles: caponata crostini and focaccia robiola to share; orecchiette with broccoli rabe for the girls; I had the burrata app for my main

Musings: Gemma is a solid Italian restaurant with a nice casual vibe. As NYC restaurants go, it has a pretty big interior so seating is usually not a problem. They also have a long, wide bar perfect for an after-work or after-dinner drink.

I greatly enjoyed the very generous serving of caponata, studded with tart and pickley bits of green olive. The burrata was meh (nothing I've found in New York's come close to the very memorable one I had in Argentina), and so was the orecchiette. I think the way to go at Gemma is to get a whole bunch of apps and antipasti things to nibble on, instead of a proper meal.

Mostly, it was great to catch up with my girls. Abby, this day has been a long time coming and I can't wait to see what you do next!

No comments:

Post a Comment