February 28, 2010

Baohaus

Occasion: Afternoon snack with Yining
Location: Baohaus on Rivington between Norfolk and Suffolk (baohausnyc.com)
Edibles: the Chairman Bao (with a special request for a lean piece of pork); a special Kobe beef bao; an order of bao fries with sesame sauce


Musings: Not a big fan of Bauhaus architecture. But pork buns - that I can get behind!

As it was just an afternoon snack, Yining and I split two bao and an order of the bao fries. I'm generally pretty easy to please when it comes to fried stuff but I found the bao fries underwhelming. I like the denser texture of man tou better for something like this. Also, the sesame sauce is a somewhat disturbing speckle-y grey color.

I am, however, a big fan of the bao. I'm really glad the guy behind the counter overheard my concerns about overly fatty pork - yes, there is such a thing. He very helpfully offered to find us a leaner piece, and it was perfect. The pork was tender, flavorful, and the bao had a bit of surprise from the cilantro and ground peanut garnishes. I'm not sure they're strictly authentic, but they are delicious.

I also quite liked the Kobe special bao, though I didn't think it was twice as good as the pork at twice the price. The skirt steak (which they were out of) is worth considering at $4.50. For variety's sake, you know?

Bottom line: very yummy, and great for a pick-me-up if you're in the area. Yining and I are considering the feasibility of our own little private delivery service. I'll let you eastsiders know if that works out....

No comments:

Post a Comment