September 24, 2009

Schaller & Weber

Location: 2nd Ave between 85th and 86th (schallerweber.com)

Yining had done a lot of the provisioning for our Oktoberfest party due to my schedule constraints, but I wasn't going to miss out on this one. Recommended to me by Ben and also referenced in a Martha Stewart cookbook, this place was supposedly THE place for German sausages.

The guy behind the counter was very friendly and informative. With his help, we selected bratwürst, chicken würst, pork and veal bockwürst and pork and beef country-style brauernwürst. Most of their sausages are cooked, and only need to be reheated on the grill or in some simmering water. (Yining was wary about letting me take them home, knowing my carnivorous tendencies well, but eventually decided I was the lesser risk compared to her sister.)

We also picked up their in-house sauerkraut, red cabbage and Düsseldorf-style horseradish mustard.

Party time!

[Postscript: Of the sausages I tasted, the classic bratwürst was the best. The sauerkraut was a bit disappointing - not sour enough for my taste and the shreds of cabbage were too long and unwieldy.]

No comments:

Post a Comment