October 1, 2010

Momofuku Milk Bar

Location: Momofuku Milk Bar on 2nd Ave at 13th - there's a pass-through from the rear of the restaurant, but it also has a separate entrance (momofuku.com/milkbar/)

Musings: The compost cookie. Contains all sorts of alarming ingredients like coffee grounds, pretzels and potato chips. Interesting concept, but I thought they overdid it on the coffee grounds - it was all I could taste.


The blueberry and cream cookie is Robert's favorite. I found the unrelieved sweetness a bit cloying, but the chewy texture was nice.


Our third cookie was my favorite - cornflake, choco chip and marshmallow. The cornflakes gave it a great crunch and the slightest touch of savoriness without you having to taste actual grains of salt (like from the potato chips and pretzels in the compost cookie). I. Loved. It.

I bet you can make a reasonable facsimile of this cookie by taking the basic Nestlé Toll House recipe and adding a handful of cornflakes and mini marshmallows. Stay tuned for recipe-testing results in the not-too-distant future.


And finally, the crack pie. It's got a dense, sugary filling that reminded me of a pecan pie without the pecans. I looked at the ingredients and it's basically got the same things as a standard custard - sugar, eggs, dairy, etc. And yet there's some sort of magic (or witchcraft) involved because every time I finished a bite, I found myself wanting another. Aptly named, Momofuku.

No comments:

Post a Comment