May 21, 2010

Billy's Bakery

Location: 9th Ave between 21st and 22nd (billysbakerynyc.com)


Musings: For the price of Jill's one marshmallow at Recette, I got a massive wedge of red velvet cake, two cupcakes for the road, and a café au lait. The fluffy, whipped frosting on Billy's red velvet isn't quite as good as Buttercup's dense and unctuous version (cream-cheesy goodness!), but the size of the slice is generous to say the least and cake is nice and moist.

Incidentally, you can get an un-frosted cupcake for about half the price of the frosted ones. For those of you who consider this blasphemy, A) I intended to eat them for breakfast the next day and it's easier on the conscience without frosting, and B) I ended up having a few leftover dabs from the red velvet cake that I was able to repurpose.

2 comments:

  1. So Billy's is my favorite cupcake/cake place in the city! The chocolate cake with mocha buttercream icing is amazing - I've gotten it for several times and it's always a huge hit! you must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! Will def check out that flavor when I'm there next.

    ReplyDelete