January 10, 2010

Le Creuset

As an avid soup-maker, I LOVE my three Le Creuset Dutch ovens. I believe they're popular with the pros too - every chef on Food Network seems to have a few. Some thoughts below, if you happen to have some spare shelf space in your kitchen.

Pro: They're durable and well-made enough that you can probably leave them to your kids.

Con: They're not cheap.

Pro: They're enameled cast iron: the heavy cast iron regulates the heat, and the enamel makes its interior cooking surface non-reactive. These pots are very versatile - you can boil, stew, roast, deep-fry, and even bake in them. I mostly use them for soup, but my littlest one also came in handy during my holiday dulce de leche spree.

Con: They're really heavy, even when empty. It's a bit of a wrestle to wash them, and you have to be careful not to chip the enamel.

Pro: The bright colors just make me happy. (I have a large blue one, a medium green one, and a little yellow one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment