November 27, 2009

Lupa



Occasion: Black Friday lunch with my mom and sister
Location: Lupa on Thompson between Houston and Bleecker(luparestaurant.com)
Edibles: antipasti to start - broccoli rabe with ricotta; beets with pistachio sauce; roasted butternut squash with red onion; octopus with garbanzo beans; I had the spaghetti carbonara; my sister had the gnocchi with tomato sauce; my mom had the tonarelli with pork shoulder ragu

Musings: After three chilly hours of shopping in Soho, we stopped off at Lupa for some much-needed carbs. Luckily, we beat the lunch rush and were seated immediately. (Lupa can be tricky to get into. They take reservations, but for such a small percentage of the restaurant that you need to call more than a week in advance. If you're taking your chances without a reservation, go early. Being willing to eat at the bar also helps.)

It's been my experience that the vegetables are always amazing at Batali restaurants. I don't know what the story is behind it, but if you're at Otto, Casa Mono or Lupa, be sure to get some. Today was no exception. I loved the pistachio sauce on the beets in particular.

The octopus was the most expensive starter at $10 for a little cup, and it was a letdown. The octopus had a very strange texture, sort of spongy and mealy. It actually felt a little gross to chew and swallow it.

We did two rotations of the pastas so that everyone could taste everything. I was in raptures over the carbonara: the perfect amount of sauce, the perfect amount of salt, lots of pancetta bits and cracked black pepper. YUM. The tonarelli was also excellent, a hearty winter dish with tender shreds of pork and fresh pasta. The gnocchi were pillowy and satisfying but paled in comparison to the other two dishes, which were simply outstanding.

I just love Lupa. I had my birthday dinner here last year and, while the group dining menu is not cheap, the courses was very generous and everyone had a great time. For its relaxed atmosphere, excellent veggies and knock-your-socks-off fresh pastas, Lupa easily makes the NYC Hall of Fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment